Fall is rapidly approaching!
I am sad to see summer come to an end, but do enjoy the fall season. Here are some tips to get your home ready for the colder weather months that lie ahead:
- Remove & cover patio furniture.
- Disconnect hoses from the hose connections, and close the shutoff valve.
- Replace batteries in smoke detectors & carbon monoxide detectors.
- Trim trees & shrubs that are too close to the house.
- Clean house gutters.
- Have your chimney inspected.
- Have your furnace/heating system cleaned and inspected.
- Have your snow blower serviced & purchase a new shovel.
While we are preparing our homes for the season change, it is also a good time to review Identity theft. In today’s society, we are all vulnerable to the potential of having our identity compromised or stolen. Here are a few basic tips to help reduce your risk of theft:
1. When using the internet, be sure the URL is “https”, representing a safer web environment.
2. Check for the lock icon on the browser bar when viewing webpages and making internet purchases.
3. Register your phone numbers on the Do Not Call list www.donotcall.gov & check out www.optoutprescreen.com to remove yourself from junk mailing lists.
4. Cross shred all junk mail & pre authorized credit offerings.
5. Keep your personal & financial records in a locked fireproof cabinet, and any documents not needed regularly in a safe deposit box.
6. Check your credit report often.